Saturday, January 30, 2010

Buying jeans

I went to the mall yesterday on a mission to find a pair of jeans. For months I had been wearing the same Old Navy sweatpants and maternity jeans, and it was finally time to venture back to "real" pants.

I decided on American Eagle, the jeans always treated me well there before. But looking back, maybe I should have chosen a store catered to people above the age of 15.

I took Kirsten with me, and we decided to go through this together, just us girls. I browsed through the front of the store and picked up a few tank tops, things I knew would fit me. This way, when I am a crying mess on the floor of the dressing room, hidden under a pile of jeans that will not go above my thighs, I would have a glimmer of hope that clothing will once again be a friend to my body.

I then made my way to the back of the store and saw 5 mannequins wearing skinny jeans, all in cute washes. They looked great. AAHHHH even fake people look better than me. This is so intimidating!

I chose a pair in a medium wash, something I could wear with everything. Since I plan to lose more weight and get in better shape, I didn't want to waste my time with the cool trendy pairs with holes in them. Even though I was extremely tempted to do so.

I found a sales person and asked for a fitting room. Kirsten's first fitting room experience. If this went poorly, would I be scarring her for life? Will she have image issues, and her entire life not be able to figure out why? after years of therapy she would discover that it was this moment, watching her mom 3 weeks after giving birth, try to fit her fat butt into a pair of skinny jeans meant for a tall, cute, 16 year old girl??????

I brought with me a size 2 (wishful thinking) and size 4. I started with the size 2, I figured there was no chance I was a 2 again, and if it didn't fit I wouldn't be too disappointed. I put one leg in, then the other. and then attempted to pull them up. It got to almost my butt and then stopped. I laughed at myself, this is like a bad episode of What Not to Wear. Stacy and Clinton would have my neck for even trying the size 2, let alone skinny jeans.

I then tried the size 4. one leg, then the other. pulled then up and..... THEY FIT! They were a but snug around the waste, but as any seasoned shopper knows, you want you buy your jeans so that they just fit, because denim stretches. I was so happy. I did a little happy dance around the dressing room and high fived Kirsten. She continued to sleep, and gurgle a little. She was clearly not as amused as I was.

I promptly left the dressing room with my jeans and tank tops in my hand, proud of myself for having a successful trip to the mall, and not leaving with sweatpants! I even treated myself to a new belt!

I strutted my way through the rest of the mall, feeling on top of the world.

1 comment:

how to ollie said...

I'm always looking out for great blogs. Seems like you have a good one here. Diamond in the rough.