Monday, February 1, 2010

Kirsten's first baby shower

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yesterday Kirsten and I were invited to my friend Kaitlyn's baby shower. I was excited for over a month, when I received the invite, to go to this shower! I would have a chance to show off my baby, and join in the excitement for Kait.

The previous evening we had friends over for a small party. We began a "tasting club" which involves someone hosting and choosing a beverage to "taste." We decided to host this month, and the beverage was infused vodka. We invited about 12 friends, and all came and had a great time. Kirsten was present, and was great for the first few hours. But then the party ran into her bed time routine, and she got fussy. I sat upstairs with her for a while, and then Todd sat with her a bit too. I think she was just overly tired and could not settle herself with all of the excitement going on in the house. She finally went to sleep at midnight, and did not wake up until 6am!

However, the morning was hard for her. After sleeping for such a long time, her schedule was officially off. She cried all morning and cluster fed for a few hours. She was not interested in falling back asleep or calming down any time soon. Todd took her for the morning while I got myself ready for the shower, and then bathed her and got her dressed up in a wonderful polka dot dress.

While in the car she was fine, she normally is in the car. Once we arrived I saw that she was wide awake and thought for a moment that we would not last long at the shower. I got her inside and immediately people flocked to her and talked about how cute she was. The trip was worth it just for that! I love showing off my baby!

I made my way to a seat, and sat with friends who I have not seen or spoken to in a long time. Its funny because while pregnant I was a little bitter about losing some friends. But not that I have Kirsten, I am much more forgiving and able to see past those petty things. I had some friends not show up to my shower, and it really broke my heart. But the day ended up amazing and fun, so in the end, I got everything I wanted. Wonderful gifts and I was surrounded by lots of great people. It is just funny to see how friendships change when your own life changes. I got married and had a baby within a few months, so it is understandable that it is a lot for some people to handle, especially if their lives aren't going as well.

Anyway... Kirsten was amazing at the shower. We ended up staying until 4pm. She would sleep, take her paci, drank a bottle, and was just pleasant the whole day. I was shocked and delighted. It gave me hope that she would be a good baby for more outings in the future.

We have another shower next Sunday, and I am crossing my fingers that it goes this well again!

No comments: