Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I try not to be "that" girl

I have been reading message boards and blogs constantly since becoming pregnant, and there is one constant, something that will never change... women complaining about the in-laws or their husbands. I would read the rants, and think to myself, "wow I am sooooo lucky to have wonderful in-laws and a terrific husband!"

Well... since having the baby I have honestly become that girl. The one that gets bitter about the dumbest things, or freaks out over the smallest mistake. I make plenty of mistakes, but for some reason when it comes to someone else handling my child, I turn into psycho mom!

I think I am rather relaxed when it comes to Kirsten. I don't mind people holding her, or feeding her, or changing her diaper. I welcome the break from those activities. I even allowed my own mother to take her for the night (while I was home) so I could get a full night's sleep. But for some reason, it being my own mother, made me more relaxed. However, when it is Todd or my in-laws, I freak out about every little thing!

For example, I give Todd the death stare when he is feeding Kirsten. I worry about him not holding her up right, or his technique is off. Or she will not be able to get right back to sleep when he is finished feeding her. I know the tricks, her little quirks, because I am home with her all day, and I take over the night feedings 5 days a week. So I know her little cues. I worry that he doesn't know them, and it will somehow throw her off whatever little schedule she has right now.

When it comes to the in-laws I am even worse. Last week while attending our baptism class I allowed them to watch her. It was only for about 2 hours, but I still worried the entire time. Were they feeding her? Were they doing it right? Did they attempt to change her? Would they know how to put the diaper on correctly? I only worry because I see how they are when I am around them, watching them with her. It is so hard to explain but the way they do things is so opposite of how I would do things, and really, they aren't even doing anything bad. I just worry, because I am that mom, the one that thinks that my way is the only way, and no one else can take care of my baby the way that I can.

Does this ever go away? Will I learn to relax or become more bitter as she gets older and can actually be influenced by others?

No comments: