Friday, April 1, 2011

We all have dreams

When I was in third grade my favorite show was the Mickey Mouse Club. You know, the one with Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aquilera, and Ryan Gosling? I could not wait for the free weekends of Disney Channel so I could watch it. I begged my mom to order Disney Channel, but she insisted we couldn't get it full time. But none of my friends had the channel, so we all looked forward to the few weekends a year that we got it for free. I would glue myself to the tv, not wanting to miss a second of it.

Anyway, I remember after one episode there being an advertisement for kids who want to be apart of the show. They were looking for new talent, and this small town girl finally saw her opportunity to be in the spotlight, exactly where I belonged.

We had a computer at the time. Mostly I used it to play Oregon Trail (damn Typhoid Fever!!!) but I knew how to write up a paper (I used to make flyers to my "events" I held in my basement, but more on those later). I sat at my computer and began to compose a letter, a letter to the Disney Channel. Basically I knew I had to take it upon myself if I wanted to be on the Mickey Mouse Club dancing alongside JC and Justin.

Well obviously I never got the part. But years later, I would find a copy of that letter. I kept a copy for myself, a memento for when I was famous and wanted to remember what it was like before I was rich and famous.

So behold... my letter to the Mickey Mouse Club......


Dear Mickey Mouse Club,

My name is Erika Hicks and I am 9 years old. I love watching the Mickey Mouse Club and would love to be on the show.

I have been dancing since I was 5 years old. I take ballet, jazz, and tap lessons. I love dancing and think I am good enough to be on your show. I try to practice the dances they do on the show, so I can learn all of them quickly when I am on the show.

Sometimes I hold dance shows in my basement for my family. I dance to Disney music and make up my own dances. I like to make up dances and am good at it. My mom and dad think I am really good and if I keep practicing can be famous some day.

When I am in 4th grade next year I will take chorus so I can be really good at singing. I like to sing now, but do not take lessons yet. I love to sing Disney songs. My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid.

I can also play piano. I have been taking lessons since 2nd grade.

I would like to be on your show and will move to Disney World so I can be on it. My mom and dad would like to live there. And so would my brother.

I put a picture of myself inside with this letter.

I hope you write back.

Thank you,
Erika Hicks


I hope Kirsten has dreams like these. Dreams of dancing with future pop stars and moving to Disney World. Sometimes I wish I still dreamed like this, and just knew someone would hire me just because I said I was good at something. I believed in myself.... maybe I needed to send a video?

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have no idea how they could have overlooked this letter! It's awesome!

Andplusalso, The Little Mermaid is the best Disney movie. It's proven :)

L said...

Very nicely designed page! Just found you through a blog hop..now following, i hope you can follow back also! I'd appreciate it so much :-)
xoxo from NYC!

TRAVEL DESIGNERY