Thursday, June 3, 2010

Welcome to Parenthood?

Maybe there is some sort of "right of passage" that I had yet to pass through until last night. This special moment between baby and parent. A very special bonding moment that will forever change the way you look at going out for dinner.

Gone are the days of taking my time to get ready when we go out for dinner. I am sure my hair will develop a permanent kink in it from all the pony tails I wear. I wear makeup sometimes for two days, just adding more to my face to get rid of the bags under my eyes. I don't curl my hair anymore; I don't wear eye shadow, and forget about lipstick!

Gone too are the days of going to restaurants that require too long of a wait, seats that make it too difficult to balance a baby on one knee, or simply sitting at the bar for faster service.

We now live in the land of high chairs, eating with one hand (which I have mastered) and only going to places that have the changing table in the bathroom (I am surprised by the places that DON'T have this feature!).

I was aware of all of this. I knew that we now entered a whole new world and I was embracing it. I enjoyed showing my baby off at restaurants and was even proud of my baby for tackling a few places that I once figured would not be baby friendly!

But this whole new life smacked me right in the forehead last night when Kirsten peed all over me in PF Changs.


My mother-in-law was holding her throughout most of dinner which meant that she barely ate. So after finishing my meal I took Kirsten so she could eat. She was acting especially squirmy but I figured it was due to us sitting at the most uncomfortable booth ever (when holding a child). I tried to entertain her but she refused to sit or stop moving.

That is when I felt it, gushes of liquid going down my leg. I reached down and felt my dress... yep... soaked. I held her up and saw that her entire lower half was literally dripping in pee.

Great..........

I grabbed the diaper bag and held her away from my body as we made our way through the restaurant to the bathroom. The whole time I prayed to every God possible that 1. there was a changing area and 2. I had the sense to bring a spare outfit. Thankfully both were true.

I cleaned her up and she giggled and smiled at me, knowing full well what she had just done. I couldn't help laugh. Of course I would get peed on the day that I actually put on nice clothes for a dinner out. I usually wear my "mommy clothes." You know what I mean, the clothes that are somehow stain proof or at least already have so many stains and marks on them that any new ones would go unnoticed.

This experience certainly will not keep me from taking her out. And hopefully it won't keep me from wanting to dress up every so often. But I feel like now we have been ushered into parenthood with a proper initiation.

Thank-you Kirsten. I look forward to you pooping on me the first time I wear white pants out on one of our dinner dates!

4 comments:

CaneWife said...

At least she waited til near the end?

On another note, PF Chang's has fantastic restrooms.

I totally scoped out changing station situations when Turtle was younger. I was stunned to find that a lot of Wendy's don't have them (we were on a road trip to my mom's when we found this out).

Erika said...

It is truly unbelievable to me the places that don't have changing stations! And some places I figured would have them, but find that they don't, or they look like they are about to fall apart!

No wonder K cries every time I lay her on a public changing table... she HATES it!

Bekah said...

Ive noticed that the wait staff can pretty much make or break your dining experience with a baby. We had an awesome waiter the other night, and a REALLY crappy hostess. I asked her if we could sit near a corner or somewhere a little secluded so that Jack wouldnt be throwing his toys at the nice gentlemen next to us or anything, and where did she seat us? SMACK DAB in the the middle of the restaurant...I mean...THE MIDDLE. It was ridiculous. Luckily our waiter was awesome...even bringing our no sugar added applesauce for Jack and picking up one of his stray toys.

Kate, aka Guavalicious said...

Oh i feel your pain. Last Sunday one of my girls pulled her diaper off and peed on the bench at a restaurant. And on her eleven year old cousin's shoe. Yeah, that was awesome.