Monday, March 21, 2011

I have to sing in front of people??

I recently read that less women are participating in "mommy and me" classes because of their busy schedules. Also, because they feel less of a need for a group setting, and feel they can get that on their own or at a public place.

This is all good. I have been that mommy up until this point. Frankly, I had zero time for a "mommy and me" class, heck I've barely had time to eat and sleep. But now that I'm home I vowed to do more things that are Kirsten centered, and not just all about me. Example... going to a mall play area or meeting up with a friend who has a baby. Not saying those things aren't good, but I really wanted to do something that was ALL about her. Something more structured.

So I decided to sign us up for Kindermusik!

I was a little nervous at first. What does one wear to such a function? Should I be sporty mommy? Laid back mommy? Trendy mommy? I mean these are all things to think about before our first "mommy and me" class. As much as this was something for Kirsten, it was for me too. I need to meet moms that live near me because honestly, I'm lonely. I like being home with Kirsten, and I love my friends, but I don't have anyone who can really relate. Except for internet friends. And even though they are there for me any time of the day, I need some face-to-face time!

Dressed in what I though was an outfit that showed I wasn't trying too hard, but still fun and cool, we made our way to Kindermusik. I walked in and immediately saw babies crawling around and playing on the floor. I knew Kirsten would have nothing to do with playing with the other kids. Every time I dropped her off at daycare she shyed away from the kids and cried for me. Would this bring back those memories?

After sitting down, polite small talk, Kirsten warmed up to the group from the safe vantage point on my lap. The teacher introduced herself, and the class began.

I'd say it went well. She eventually let go of her reservations and began to play with the other kids. As in, she crawled around and played with some toys and instruments. All of the moms were nice, polite, and warm. I felt very welcomed, but still a little bit of an outsider. I am not a shy person, but for some reason, when I really want to make friends, I get shy and reserved. Not how I am normally at all!

I really hope Kirsten continues to like it. And I hope to make some mommy friends. But most importantly, I hope no one is bothered by my singing voice!

No comments: