Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tis the Season

It is that time of year folks. That other time of year where we all make promises to ourselves and try to start anew. It is Lent!

I never really liked the idea of having to "give up" something during Lent. It never made sense to me. My mom always gave up chocolates or snacking, and she would complain for 40 days and 40 nights about it, but you better believe on that 41st day she was eating a bag full of tootsie rolls! So what was the point? To show that you have some will power, for at least a month? I just never got it. It didn't seem like it was what God wanted us to do when celebrating Lent. I don't think He wanted us to "give up" something or act like we were suffering because we are Catholic.

Instead I always tried to focus on "giving" something. Or, in other words, "giving up" some of my time to others in need. I took Lent as a way to finally get off my butt and volunteer somewhere. Whether it was my church, the local library, school, or women's shelter, I felt far more fulfilled with my decision.

This is not to say that "giving up" something isn't a good idea. I think the basic concept is good. It forces us to come forward with our vices and try to fix them.

So in spirit of "giving up" something for Lent, this is what our family will focus on this season.....

1. Keeping up on cleaning. Whether it is laundry, dishes, keeping our rooms clean, organization is the new keyword in our house!

2. Saying, "I love you" more often. I think we too often assume it and forget to just say it.

3. Sit down and eat as a family more often. Which basically means, I will cook more meals and make everyone sit at the table.

4. Get out and do something that is fun FOR THE BABY. I love the mall. I love going and just walking around. But it really isn't a trip for Kirsten. She hates the mall, except for the pretzels and play area. However those things aren't really worth the trip for her most of the time. So with the weather changing for the better (fingers crossed) we will start doing more "Kirsten" centered activities.


What are you "giving up" for Lent?

2 comments:

MrsAstor said...

Are you back to posting over here?

Erika said...

I will be posting here until things over at www.mommyburgh.com get figured out. Spam took over the site and I am trying to work some things out. Its so much prettier over here anyway!