Friday, March 4, 2011

Wait... the government doesn't care? NO?!?!

Mother Jones: Why Know Ones Cares About Unemployment

With my recent change in working status, from full to part time, and taking a rather significant pay cut in the process, I found this article interesting.

I don't think it really comes as a surprise that the government generally doesn't care/can't do much about the economy right now. Programs have come and gone with only mild success, and people in some cities are still struggling, even with a college degree. Remember those high hopes we had as bright eyed college students? I seriously thought I was going to be this amazing college professor, write for a local paper, and maybe publish a few books or articles. Um.... hello reality!

Not to say that these goals weren't, and maybe still aren't obtainable, but it just goes to show that in this tough economy it is hard to really hold onto a dream, or continue with those lofty thoughts. Settling has become the best option. I'd rather have SOMETHING than NOTHING is the new mentality.

I remember my dad having a hard time facing the fact that after graduation, and applying to many places, that I ended up in retail. It was easy for me though. I was good at it, there was always a job opening somewhere, and it was easy money. He just didn't get that I wasn't doing something in my field. He offered to pay for more schooling or see if he could pull strings... but in reality, none of that would matter. I needed to settle, so I did. Am I happy? Of course. Do I still dream of being a professor one day or writing for a paper on the side? Definitely.

This isn't me trying to say that all dreams are unobtainable and we should always settle. I hope I can be proven wrong and by the time my daughter is in college she can have wild and crazy dreams about her future, and not feel as though they are out of reach for her.

No comments: