Sunday, May 16, 2010

How Did We Get This Kid?

Todd and I were talking this weekend about how awesome our baby is... probably our favorite subject the past 4 months. We started out by questioning, "did you think we would get this baby?" When I was pregnant we imagined what she would look like, and came to the conclusion that she would look just like me. See, the genes in my family are super strong, as seen through myself and my brother (we look just like our dad) and my brother's children (they look JUST like my dad). All of my dad's siblings have children that look just like them and so on... Basically my dad's side of the family are a bunch of freaks who all look alike.

We had an ultrasound that Todd swore up and down looked just like me. I didn't see it really, but went with it. I secretly loved the fact that our baby would be a mini me.

Then we had our baby....





When she came out it was hard to tell who she really looked like, because her face was wrinkled up in an angry little ball of fury. Then I got to hold her, and really get a good look at her, and realized that she looked not a thing like me. She was 100% her daddy!

As you can see from the photos... all daddy.

But then there is her personality. We should have known from that first moment that she would be a handful. She came out screaming, and continues to make her presence known where ever she goes. She is so loud and full of energy. She wants to be on the floor rolling around, grabbing onto things, watching the tv, apart of conversation... she just has to be apart of the energy that is going on in the room, and usually, she is the energy. From morning to night she just goes goes goes....

Did I think she would be this way? This little girl just full of personality who is the spitting image of her dad? No. But man am I excited that we have her.

Other babies are cooing or sleeping silently in their car seats at restaurants. Kirsten prefers to pull at the table linens and scream her head off like a dinosaur when the waiter comes over to refill our waters. She would rather be up and in your face, than lying on a bouncer minding her own business. She hates being in or on something that is away from the action. No swings, bouncers, play mats... she needs to be on your lap engaged in your conversation.

She is a handful. We don't get a break until she goes to bed at night. Did I think this would be my kid? No. And I wouldn't trade her for anything.

I hope she grows up to have the biggest personality. I hope she is always curious. I hope she always wants to be apart of the action. I never want her to be shy or think she isn't good enough to hang out with anyone. She is the funniest little girl I ever met, and I cannot wait to see her develop even more.

1 comment:

finsama said...

I love it! She's so much like Lily!! I was always amazed by the really sedate babies, because Lily was always so energetic (whether good or bad). It's a lot more work and a lot more exhausting, but it's so much fun! I don't know where she got such an outgoing personality from (certainly not me), but I hope she never changes. She's just so cool :-)