Monday, March 15, 2010

Cloth Diapers - Week 2

So here we are in week two of using the cloth diapers. As seen in the photos below (well maybe not that clearly) Kirsten is wearing her Smarti Pants diapers. I am really digging these diapers! They are really soft and super easy to put on her. So far no leaks either! Only complaint, as mentioned before, is that you have to stuff them and use a new shell every time. But really, it hasn't been that bad. I bought 3 more shells so now we have 6... enough to get us through a day!

I ordered another brand to try, and am really enjoying these as well! I went with the rave reviews all over the internet and decided to purchase some GroBaby diapers!



I ordered them from Pittsburgh Cloth Diapers (link at the very bottom of the page) and they came super fast in the mail! I was really pumped to try them out but knew that a lot of prepping was in order. As advised from @GroBaby on Twitter, "PREP PREP PREP!" I really had no idea what prepping really meant in the cloth diapering world, but soon found out that it meant, WASH WASH WASH! GroBaby diapers require a few washes before use to get the best absorbency out of the inserts. I went ahead and washed/dried them twice before using them. According to the site however, after 10 washes are the inserts truly at their peak performance!

Did I mention that these diapers come in the CUTEST designs??? Seriously they are really adorable!

Okay back to using the diapers... the insert simple snaps into the diaper, which is really easy and convenient! Before snapping in the insert, you have to adjust the size of the diaper by snapping the outside layer to make it smaller. I used the middle snap because Kirsten certainly is no longer a newborn. This size fit her perfectly (Kirsten is about 11lbs)! After adjusting the size and snapping in the insert, it was now the easy part, placing the diaper on the baby! Thankfully she cooperated and it was easy to do! I put it on her like any regular diaper and just pulled the tabs tight and the Velcro tabs fit it on very snugly!

One really major PLUS for these diapers is the Velcro tabs! I really had no idea that they could be that easy! Just velcro it right on, and the fit is really great. The other systems I have used have snaps, which work great at well, but the Velcro was much easier to adjust. And much easier for a beginner. I could see this being easier on the go. Again though, the snaps really weren't a big hassle on the Smarti Pants, just having the ability to adjust with Velcro is so much easier, you aren't confined to snap placement.

GroBaby also has Bio Soaker pads that are disposable! You can toss them out when you are on the go, so you don't have to bring a bunch of regular pads with you! I'd imagine they would be easy for daycare or vacation! We haven't used them yet, but bought a box today and plan to try them soon!


I'm really enjoying this experience. It has been fun and really educational. The community behind cloth diapering is really amazing as well. I have met and talked to some really great and helpful people. It's amazing how kind everyone can be and eager to lend a helping hand to a clueless cloth diapering mama!!!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Thanks for posting all of this. I'm still on the fence of whether or not to CD. I also love the name Kirsten! So pretty! I can't wait to read more!

Erika said...

Thanks!!!!

I hope this helps someone out! haha Its honestly been fun. If you are even considering it, get a starter pack from a company you think is right for you, and see how it goes.

Do it on a day when you will be home and just give it a try during the day. That way you can trial and error the fits and practice changes in the comfort of your own home! haha

Its easier than you think

and even if you only go part-time, think of the diapers you'll be saving!